Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Relatives say the darndest things

I went to my Grandma's wedding last night. I may write more about that later...
I just wanted to share this conversation I had with one of my aunts:


"So, are you dating anyone? Getting married soon?"

No.

"Why not? Do you hate men now or something?"

No. I love men. I just don't want to marry one.

"You have to get married so you can have kids."

No. I don't want to get married, and I don't want kids.

"How can you not want kids?"

Easy. Some people want to be mothers. Some people want to be doctors. Some people want to be computer programmers.

"So, what are you going to do? Ride horses and fish for the rest of your life?"

Does that really sound so bad?

"No... Actually. It doesn't."

 And she walked away.
 

It feels amazing to be able to just answer questions. Honestly. As ME. Instead of trying to say what I think they want to hear... It turns out, it really is MY life. I want what I want for my life, and that's okay.

4 comments:

  1. That's classic - "no, actually..." Maybe you just shifted a paradigm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool. I feel like for too long, when I was living with my last roommate I felt the need to hide part of who I was as to not offend her. I have just moved and I am hoping to not have to feel that way anymore. It is interesting, because while there is something about being open with people that is good, it is not like I have to tell everybody everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunts say the darndest things:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God for you for speaking up for yourself!!

    ReplyDelete